BUD is primarily designed for folx who are part of an existing co-op or collective. For folx looking to start a new co-op or collective, or learn more about the co-op movement, please reach out to our Choreographer for Collective Change (aka Director), [email protected], to ensure this program is right for you.
We accept applications from teams of 2-3. You should apply if:
- You are part of a cooperative or collective food and land justice project (this project can be in the start-up phase or scale-up mode)
- 2-3 members of the project can attend the full program from September 14 - October 19, 2020 (5 weeks - max. 3 hours virtually facilitated time per week)
- You and your team members are age 30 or under; folks under 18 are able to attend with a waiver
- You and your team members identify as Black, Brown, Indigenous or PoC (person of color, explicitly including folks of African, Latinx, Asian and/or Pacific Islander heritage). We strongly encourage Queer, Trans, and working-class cooperators to apply!
We seek a strong, passionate, and deeply committed diverse cohort. We hope that applicants will:
- Contribute to the diversity and curiosity of the cohort
- Come with an open heart and mind to build deeper solidarity across difference
- Be members of and act in cooperation with communities leading movement work
- Be committed to economic democracy, anti-oppression, and the liberation of QTBIPOC communities
- Feel a deep connection (or urge to connect) to food, land, and ancestry
There are 3 parts to the online application:
- Co-op/Collective Profile
- Member Profiles
- Financial Support
To successfully complete the application, please have the following information ready and draft your answers to the short essay questions in a word document before copy and pasting them into the online application. There are 5 short essay questions: 3 about your co-op or collective and 2 that each team member should answer individually.
Required Information includes:
Give us some information about your co-op or collective:
- City, State
- Please describe your co-op or collective. 200 words max.
- Why does your co-op or collective want to attend BUD? What do you believe you will gain from the experience? 200 words max.
The following are subjects often included in the BUD curriculum. In which of the following areas are you all hoping to build skills? Check all that apply.
- Cooperative hxstory
- Collective financial practices
- Community-driven business development
- Practices for collective accountability + governance
- Tailored, one-on-one technical assistance
- Storytelling and trust-building
- Are there other things you want to see included at BUD? 150 words max.
- Each team member’s: name, age, gender pronouns, email address, mailing address, phone number
- We believe that folx’s lived experiences and identities deeply inform their perspective and the way they approach the work of liberation. Could you speak to the identities you embody? Who are you? What are your intersections? (one answer for each team member; 300 words max.)
- Describe your leadership experience. (one answer for each team member; 300 words max.)
The discounted cost of BUD is $1,500 per person. However, we offer sliding scale registration and are happy to help you fundraise towards the cost of registration if needed. Additionally, we invite participants to pay it forward and fundraise with us so that we can offer more registration scholarships. No one will be turned away due to lack of funds.
- How much can your co-op or collective contribute to your team's total registration cost, based on the sliding scale?
- Would your team be willing to help CoFED fundraise for registration scholarships? This entails writing personalized letters to co-ops and other aligned organizations that will welcome the opportunity to support you and other participants. We will provide a letter template & are down to support you with fundraising for your team!
If you have any questions about completing/submitting the application, please contact Dallas at [email protected].