Email Hnin@cofed.org for more info.
Established in 2015, CoFED Summer Co-op Academy (SCA) is a weeklong transformative gathering and cooperative business boot camp for college students seeking to learn more about student food co-ops and gain critical skills in cooperative development and collective liberation. Students graduate from SCA ready to take their social justice visions to the next level, with new tools, connections, and questions to lead with love.
We accept applications from teams of 2-3 students and have limited spots for up to 10 teams. Your team should apply if:
- 2-3 members can attend the full program
- Everyone is age 18 or older
We seek a diverse cohort made up of strong teams and individuals. Successful team applicants will meet the following selection criteria:
- Represents and/or acts in solidarity with frontline communities
- Is committed to racial and economic equity
- Contributes to the diversity of the cohort
There are 4 parts to the online application:
- Co-op/Team Profile
- Short Essays
- Team Member Profiles
- Financial Support
To successfully complete the application, please have the following information ready and draft your answers to the short essay questions in a word document before copy and pasting them into the online application.Required Information includes:
- Each team member’s:
- Name, Email address, Phone number
- Gender pronouns
- Annual Household Income
- Identification with these groups: people of color, LGBTQ2S, people with disabilities, immigrants, formerly incarcerated, returning students, working part-time or full-time, has dependents
- How your team plans to cover the cost of attendance, if accepted
- Amount of financial support needed from CoFED to attend, if accepted
Short Essay Questions:
- Please describe your student food co-op or vision for one. 150 words max.
- Why does your team want to attend Summer Co-op Academy? 150 words max.
- How does your team represent and/or act in solidarity with frontline communities? 250 words max. A frontline community is one that directly and often disproportionately experiences social, environmental, political or economic inequities. CoFED seeks to lift up the leadership of frontline communities most affected by food insecurity, climate injustice, and oppression.
- How has your team been committed to racially and economically equitable co- operative development? 250 words max.
- How would your team contribute to the diversity of the cohort? 250 words max.
- Would your team be down to facilitate any workshops/activities? If yes, what do you have in mind? 250 words max. Facilitating a workshop/activity is not required. We just want to give y'all a chance to teach what you know as we'll be (un)learning together.