Job Title: Project Assistant
Reports to: Project Director
Status: Part-time, non-exempt
About HOPE Collaborative, a project of Tides Center:
HOPE (Health for Oakland’s People and Environment) Collaborative’s mission is to create community-driven and sustainable environmental change that will significantly improve the health and wellness of Oakland flatland community members. We envision vibrant Oakland neighborhoods that provide equitable access to affordable, healthy, locally grown food; safe and inviting places for physical activity and play; sustainable, successful, local economies—all to the benefit of the families and youth living in Oakland's most vulnerable neighborhoods.
The Project Assistant provides operational and administrative support to HOPE Collaborative and works with HOPE staff and collaborative members in the development of communications and outreach materials to support the implementation of HOPE Collaborative’s Community Action Plan.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Operations and Administration (50%)
- Organize and maintain organizational systems, files, and data for the collaborative
- Provide logistical support for meetings, events, and conferences
- Prepare written notes from meetings, etc.
- Enter, maintain and track data, including meeting attendance, corner store surveys, etc.
- Answer telephones, open mail, check voicemail, etc.
- Fill out, submit, and track check requests
- Support action teams, committees, and staff with scheduling meeting
- Serve as liaison between HOPE staff and fiscal sponsor, IT provider, and website developer
- Research and compile information
- Generate and format correspondence and reports
- Order office supplies, food for meetings, etc.
- Attend HOPE meetings as assigned
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
2. Communications (50%)
- Work with staff, collaborative members, and consultants to implement communications strategy and tools
- Produce monthly electronic newsletter using Constant Contact
- Maintain updated content on website using Wordpress
- Maintain HOPE’s social media presence using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media tools
- Create and maintain project contact lists and calendars
Required knowledge, skills, and experience:
- At least two years of administrative experience
- At least two years of communications experience, including developing and maintaining website, social media, and messaging content
- Extremely well organized
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher), internet and email
- Proficient in Wordpress or similar Content Management System
- Experience using Constant Contact or similar program
- Excellent typing (50 WPM), proofreading and editing skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail orientation
- Able to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment
- Able to work well independently and as part of a team
Preferred knowledge, skills, and qualities:
- High degree of comfort working with constituents from varied backgrounds
- Knowledge of or interest in food systems, built environment, school food, and/or community and youth engagement
- Strong commitment to social change
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Employee must have the ability to attend meetings, sit and operate a computer up to 8 hours per day
While this is an office position, weekly travel to other locations in and around Oakland is required to purchase food and other materials for meetings. A personal vehicle or public transportation may be utilized.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample that demonstrates communications skills email@example.com with “Project Assistant” in the subject line. Priority deadline is September 16, 2015.
Hours: 15-18 hours per week
Salary: $18-21 per hour, DOE.
HOPE Collaborative, a project of the Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities.