To Apply: Send CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include names and contact information for three references.
About Groundswell: The Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming is based in Ithaca, New York and is a project of the not-for-profit Center for Transformative Action. Our mission is to build an equitable and resilient regional food system. We do this by engaging diverse learners and empowering them with skills, knowledge, support networks, and access to food system resources. Working in partnership with local farmers, educational institutions, granting agencies, a broad range of non-profit and for-profit organizations, and a vibrant community of volunteers, we cultivate beginning farmers and knowledgeable food citizens through experience-based education and on-site farm business incubation.
Position Summary: The Groundswell Center is seeking a resourceful and innovative leader with demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, and with the passion, experience and skills to build community around local food and inspire people to actively support Groundswell's mission. The person who fills this position will provide overall organizational leadership in strategic planning, fundraising and development, organization and financial management, staff coordination and supervision, program development, communication, and cultivating strategic relationships.
Hours and Salary: This position starts at 0.75 FTE for 2016 (30 hours per week), with a possible increase to full time in 2017 depending on funding. Salary is commensurate with experience. Health benefits are provided.
Strategic leadership, governance and oversight (35%)
- Provide inspirational, operational and strategic leadership in support of Groundswell’s vision and mission
- Raise Groundswell’s visibility as a leader in our field of expertise and serve as the organization’s representative to external stakeholders including community groups, funders, organizational partners, media, government and other agencies
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Advisory Board: seek and build board involvement in strategic planning, fundraising, relationship building and community engagement
- Cultivate and oversee the active engagement of collaborating farms and organizations
- Work closely with CTA Operations Director in overseeing financial, administrative and human resources systems and processes
- Implement rigorous evaluation of Groundswell's impacts on individual trainees, the community, and the region and effectively communicate those impacts to our local, regional & national communities, Advisory Board, funders, and other constituents
Fundraising & Development (35%)
- Lead fund-raising and development efforts aimed at diversifying and expanding Groundswell’s funding streams
- Assist the Board in setting annual goals and securing donations
- Identify and develop individual, business and community prospects by cultivating strong relationships and meaningful engagement with Groundswell’s mission
- Identify promising government and foundation grant programs and write grants
- Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising events
Management of staff and volunteers (30%)
- Directly supervise and mentor Groundswell staff to promote organizational effectiveness and programmatic excellence
- Sustain a positive work environment by maintaining Groundswell’s collaborative culture and cooperative working relationships
- Foster the autonomy of staff within their areas of responsibility while maintaining accountability and high performance standards
- Foster continuing professional development of staff through appropriate training
- Develop and oversee a strong volunteer program
- Passionate about Groundswell’s mission
- Experienced in development and fundraising
- Knowledgeable about food systems, social justice and agriculture
- Skilled in organizational and financial management
- Experienced in building, managing and mentoring teams
- Skilled in communicating and building networks and able to work with a diverse collaborators across a variety of mediums
- Proficient with traditional and online media and marketing