CoFED seeks two highly motivated, flexible Field Organizers to join a dynamic, growing organization. These positions will support our on-the-ground organizing and support services for student teams and implement important organizational development priorities. Location for this position is flexible.
CoFED (The Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive) is a national nonprofit with a burgeoning network of food and social justice advocates joined together by a shared commitment to whole food and cooperative business development. We come together to support college students that create and strengthen cooperatively run food enterprises with their campus communities.
Established in 2011, CoFED currently works with 450 students across 40 campuses and is actively growing our membership base. We are committed to working with a diverse group of campus community teams and strengthening the links between campuses and their local food and economic systems. Those linkages support a movement of improved access to whole foods and dignified, cooperative working opportunities that build community wealth.
Field Staff will report directly to the Executive Director and work in close collaboration with the Cooperative Educator and the Program and Operations Manager to implement a suite of national programs that promote access to healthy food and cooperative food retail ownership on campus communities.
Responsibilities include partnership building with student teams, campus and community organizing, leadership development, coalition building, research and curriculum dissemination, and cooperatively run food business development. This position will play an important role in educating and supporting CoFED members and student teams. Field organizers will work closely with the Cooperative Educator to provide essential tools, trainings, and connections to student teams.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain and deepen campus relationships, nurture student teams, and strengthen local connections via the network.
- Support existing and developing student food co-ops and buying clubs, work with school administrators, and grow our membership.
- Provide team development advice and trainings.
- Facilitate on-the-ground food co-op development.
- Deploy a variety of educational curriculum and resources
- Frequent travel to visit student teams to provide trainings and support
- Assist with grant research, writing, and reporting.
- Provide resources and information to member organizations.
- Support to plan and execute regular member engagement events and regional convenings.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; working knowledge of issues of access to healthy food, low-income, multi-racial, and immigrant communities; working ability to analyze business development potential; flexible work style; exceptional written and oral communications; strong organizing abilities, including excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize and multi-task; excellent analytical, problem-solving and exceptional interpersonal skills. Willing to complete intensive cooperative development training (if not already a certified cooperative developer).
- Preferred: Prior experience in the nonprofit sector and/or a food cooperative preferred. Experience with management, research development, university partnerships, educational programming, or database management. Social media know-how a plus. Experience with campus organizing, cooperative development, community organizing, popular education, or database management. Design skills a plus.
Qualified applicants should be willing to work in a fast-paced setting, and be a team player with demonstrated ability to work in a small, highly collaborative environment. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are a must.
The Field Organizer jobs are full-time positions. Salary is commensurate with background and experience. We offer a flexible schedule and four weeks paid vacation, health benefits, and professional development opportunities among other benefits.
Please email cover letter and resume to Holly Phillips: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by June 15th will get priority consideration.
CoFED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply. No calls or agencies, please.