CoFED seeks a highly motivated, flexible Cooperative Educator to join a dynamic, growing organization. The position will support our growing research and cooperative business development efforts and will oversee important organizational development priorities. Location for this position is flexible.
CoFED (The Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive) is a national nonprofit with a burgeoning network of food and social justice advocates joined together by a shared commitment to whole food and cooperative business development. We come together to support college students that create and strengthen cooperatively run food enterprises with their campus communities.
Established in 2011, CoFED currently works with 450 students across 40 campuses and is actively growing our membership base. We are committed to working with a diverse group of campus community teams and strengthening the links between campuses and their local food and economic systems. Those linkages support a movement of improved access to whole foods and dignified, cooperative working opportunities that build community wealth.
The Cooperative Educator will report directly to the Executive Director and work in close collaboration with the Program and Operations Manager, as well as Field Staff to implement a suite of national programs that address access to healthy food and expanding opportunity on campus communities.
Responsibilities include research for food co-op development, coaching for leadership development, curriculum and educational resource development. This position will play an important role in supporting student teams to develop and strengthen cooperatively run food enterprises. Working knowledge of cooperative development will be essential. The Cooperative Educator will work with the Program and Operations Manager to organize member engagement, convenings, and related activities. Work very closely with the field staff to support on-the-ground efforts at various campuses nationwide.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist in special research and programmatic initiates.
- Analyze and adapt best practices from the cooperative and student empowerment sectors.
- Launch and build educational curriculum and resources
- Facilitate strategic food co-op development
- Build partnerships to support the growth of the national network.
- Travel to visit student teams to provide trainings and support, and provide coaching for leadership development as needed.
- Assist in grant research, writing, and reporting.
- Provide resources and information to member organizations.
- Assist in the quality assurance and oversight of program evaluation activities.
- Support to plan and execute regular member engagement events and regional convenings.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; working knowledge of issues of access to healthy food, low-income, multi-racial, and immigrant communities; ability to analyze business development potential; flexible workstyle, including the ability to shift priorities quickly; exceptional written and oral communications; strong organizational abilities, including excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize and multi-task; excellent analytical, problem-solving and interpersonal skills. Willing to complete intensive cooperative development training (if not already a certified cooperative developer.
- Preferred: Prior experience in cooperative development or popular education. Experience with management, research development, university partnerships, financial accounting, educational programming, or database management.
Qualified applicants should be willing to work in a fast-paced setting, and be a team player with demonstrated ability to work well in a small, highly collaborative environment. Strong communication skills are a must. Social media or design skills a plus.
The Cooperative Educator is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with background and experience. We offer a flexible schedule and four weeks paid vacation, health benefits, and professional development opportunities among other benefits.
Please email cover letter and resume to Holly Phillips: email@example.com. Applications received by June 15th will get priority consideration.
CoFED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply. No calls or agencies, please.